Wednesday, December 18, 2013

When and Where Do You Invest Your Time? Your Job Or Your Dream?


I recently had an experience that really opened my eyes as to how I spend my time. I am currently participating in a course where I am learning how to drive traffic to a website. This is a huge learning curve for me and I would expect it would be for you too; unless of course you are an savvy internet marketer. To say it has been challenging would be an understatement and there have been many evenings after doing my �homework� for three hours I fall into bed exhausted and feeling like I did not accomplish very much. Have you ever had that feeling? Not a very good one is it?!


What happened was that I realized that I was attempting to accomplish a task that required lots of �Brain Power� at a time of day when I personally did not have much left. I was �doing� lots but not at a time of day when I would benefit the most.


Don't mistake movement for achievement. It's easy to get faked out by being busy. The question is: Busy doing what? Jim Rohn


Reading a number of quotes by Jim Rohn was what caused the eye opening moment. I thought to myself �What if I was able to spend more time on my homework in the morning, when I am at my best?� I don�t know about you but I already have a very full schedule and attempting to find another hour or more in the morning seemed darned near impossible. I expect the situation would be extremely similar for you! Then I realized that I was putting my job ahead of my dream, something I told myself I would not do. I even have a sign posted at my slave camp desk with that very question �What is more important my job or my dream?�


We, my husband and I, decided that we needed to put our dream first and came up with a solution. We decided that we would experiment and get up at 4:00 AM, yes you read that right 4:00AM, and spend an hour dedicated to our homework. We did that yesterday and the results were amazing. We were actually able to accomplish the same amount in one hour that we had been doing in three with a much lower frustration level. WOW.


Do you know what your best time of day is for accomplishing tasks that require the most brain power? I highly recommend that you figure it out and use it to your advantage just like my husband and I are doing.


Are you able to recognize when you are being faked out? We can all get so involved or side tracked by the challenges and issues of family, relationships, building business, jobs, running errands and life in general. You need to take a look back at your life, and discover where you have been faked out. It can come down to a simple question of; �What do I need to do vs. what do I want to do?�


We all know that we need to focus on a task in order to accomplish it, but you also need to be conscious of focusing at the right time too. What activities are you doing each day that are taking your life to another level? When you focus on them each day, at the right time of day for you, you too will be able to accomplish more in the same amount of time. Would your life be better if you were to modify your schedule for your benefit? Like in my example of getting up an hour earlier in order to do my homework when I am at my best for that type of activity.


Figure out, are you a morning person or an evening person or perhaps somewhere in between. You may already know the answer to that question! Learn how to separate the major tasks from the minor tasks and spend your �best time� on your major tasks. Too many people focus their best time on their minor tasks and it shows in their results.


I would love to hear your stories on how you too were able to make a difference in your own schedule. Are you still performing your tasks the same or dramatically different? Send me an email Carla@RetireWithCarla.com, I would love to hear from you.




Author: Carla McNeil

No comments:

Post a Comment