Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Save~Spend~Donate~Invest~Piggy


When I was a kid, my piggy bank was Folger's coffee can with slot cut in the top to drop change in. I guess back then we didn't need all these new fangled contraptions; when the coffee can was full (if it ever got to that point) my mom took us to town and we either cashed in the change, or actually deposited the money into our savings account.


I ran across this new piggy bank last night and it's interesting. Instead of all your change going into one big hole, this little pig is sectioned off. Now, you can put the change or bills into the SAVE section for that hot item you want to save up for... or into the SPEND section for pocket money you plan on spending quick... or the DONATE section for money you want to donate to a favorite charity... or the INVEST section for money you want to invest in stock market. This item is targeted to kids, and I find this a very interesting gift. Not only will the kids save money in there, but you can also sit them down and pick a favorite charity, or a favorite stock and get them started early. I never really thought of a piggy bank as being an interactive gift before, but how fun to sit down with your kids and watch them choose a charity or stock!


Investing, you say? Just for those of you who may think that there's not enough room in that bank to save enough money to invest, I belong to a website ( http://www.sharebuilder.com ) where you can invest any amount (no minimum) online and you can choose from hundreds, maybe thousands... I never counted them up, of stocks and then keep track of how your portfolio is doing. Costs $4.00 per trade if you don't want a monthly fee, but it would be perfect for kids who could use this avenue to actually learn investing, plus be able to access it daily to see how their choice is doing!


For a great little stocking stuffer (you might even throw a few bills in there for a start), check out the Money Savvy Pig. It's only around $16.00, comes in 5 different colors, and possibly one of the best presents you cold give!


I want one of these and I'm an adult!




Author: Beth W.

No comments:

Post a Comment